Claudia Götz Staehelin specializes in litigation and domestic and international commercial arbitration as well as internal investigations across various industries. She advises her clients in compliance, internal investigations, cross-border proceedings, international mutual legal assistance and data privacy (CIPP/E), and supports her clients in dispute resolution crisis management. Claudia also acts as arbitrator, in particular in the area of pharma/life sciences.
Claudia combines litigation expertise with business experience. Before joining the firm, she was Head Litigation at Novartis. In that role, she led large multi-jurisdictional disputes and investigations and advised senior management on company litigation risks as well as on financial and reputational impact. Prior to that she was for many years a partner in a specialized dispute resolution law firm in Zurich and a litigator in a large business law firm in Basel.
- International and domestic arbitration (counsel and arbitrator)
- Internal investigations, white collar crime
- Crisis management
- Mutual legal assistance
- Data privacy
- Litigation and insolvency
- Compliance, white collar crime
- Life Science
- 2018: Certified International Privacy Professional (CIPP/E, GDPR)
- 2005: LL.M., New York University, School of Law, Vanderbilt Scholar, specialized in US litigation
- 2001: Bar admission, Basel (all courts, Switzerland)
- 2000: Dr.iur., University of Basel
- 1998: lic. iur., University of Basel
- since 2018: Partner, Kellerhals Carrard, Basel
- 2011-2018: Head Litigation, Novartis
- 2007-2011: Partner, Nater Dallafior AG, Zurich
- 2002-2007: Associate, VISCHER AG
- 2000-2001: Internship, VISCHER AG
- 2000: Court Clerk, District Court Arlesheim
- 1998-1999: Internship, STG-Coopers & Lybrand AG (now PricewaterhouseCoopers AG), Legal Department, Basel
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- The Sedona Conference
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Ethics and Compliance Switzerland (ECS)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- German-Swiss Lawyers association (DSJV)
- Participating member of The Sedona Conference Working Group 6 on International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure
- Participating Member of the Investigation Committee for Working Group 6 of The Sedona Conference
- Regular speaker on topics of dispute resolution, investigations and compliance
Conference Co-Chair of the 13th Annual Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery (C5 Conference), Geneva, March 14, 2019
Leading High Performing Teams: The Rise of Cultural Diversity & Women in Global Investigations & White Collar Crime, 13th Annual Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery (C5 Conference), Geneva, March 13, 2019
Efficiency, Cost & Quality Control in Internal Investigations, Ethics & Compliance Switzerland, Zurich, March 7, 2019
Chambers and Partner Global Practice Guide: Anti-Corruption 2019, Switzerland (mit Florian Baumann, Lea Ruckstuhl, Omar Abo Youssef)
Internal Investigations: Lessons Learned from a company’s perspective, Neue Zürcher Compliance-Konferenz 2019, Zurich, January 16, 2019
Sustainable Compliance Culture: How can Compliance add value to the business (Panel discussion), Neue Zürcher Compliance-Konferenz 2019, Zurich, January 16, 2019
Third Party Compliance: Neue Zürcher Compliance-Konferenz 2019, Zurich, January 16, 2019
Faculty member of the 10th Sedona Conference International Programme on Cross-Border Data Transfers and Data Protection Laws, Budapest, June 18-19, 2018
"Practical In-House Approaches to Internal Investigations & Cross-Border Regulatory Investigations", The 10th Sedona Conference International Programme on Cross-Border Data Transfers and Data Protection Laws, Budapest, June 18-19, 2018
"The full Implementation of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): Implementation Challenges and New Guidance", The 10th Sedona Conference International Programme on Cross-Border Data Transfers and Data Protection Laws, Budapest, June 18-19, 2018
"The Economics of Dispute Resolution & Cross-Border M&A", Cravath Summit on Global Dispute Resolution, New York, April 26, 2018
"Managing Risk and Litigation: The future of legal privilege", The Lawyer Conference, London, December 5, 2017
"Multi-tier Dispute Resolution", ASA Conference, Berne, September 15, 2017
"Insight into the revised ICC Arbitration Rules: The company expectations", ICC Switzerland, Zurich, April 19, 2017
"Alternative Dispute Resolution for IP and Technology Disputes", WIPO Event, Zurich, January 21, 2016
"Data Protection/Confidentiality Duties in a Global Market Place", European Conference 2015 “Switzerland, EU and USA: Partners in Success”, NY State Bar Association, Zurich, March 13, 2015
"The In-House Counsel's Role in International Arbitrations", AIJA, Annual Congress, Prague, August 29, 2014
(mit Roberto Dallafior) Kommentar zu Art. 2-4 und 59-62 LugÜ, in: C. Oetiker/T. Weibel (Hrsg.), Kommentar zum Lugano-Übereinkommen, 1. Auflage, Basel 2011
(mit Simone Stebler) Prozessuale Hürden in Verantwortlichkeitsprozessen, GesKR 4/2009, 479 ff.
Institutional Arbitration: Tasks and Powers of different Arbitration Institutions, Co-Editor (mit Karin Graf und Pascale Gola), Zürich 2009
(mit Roberto Dallafior) Überblick über die wichtigsten Änderungen des Lugano-Übereinkommens, SJZ 2008, 105 ff.
Teamarbeit und geteilte Verantwortung in Spital, Arztpraxis und Belegarztverhältnis, HAVE 2007, 226 ff.
(mit Hans Nater) Die Ausgestaltung der Honorarvereinbarung – Das Problem des "Windfalls" und des Erfolgshonorars, SJZ 2007, 471 ff.
Wem stehen Retrozessionen zu? BaZ, 1. März 2007
Amerikanisches Discovery für Verfahren im Ausland, SJZ 2006, 269 ff.
Der Gerichtsstand der rügelosen Einlassung im Zivilprozessrecht der Schweiz, Basel 2004, Schriftenreihe für Internationales Recht der juristischen Fakultät der Universität Basel