David Casserly is a barrister and attorney (Bar of Ireland; Bar of England & Wales; Bar of New York) specialised in the areas of sports law and international arbitration.
Mr Casserly acts for a wide range of clients, including prominent football clubs (English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Chinese Super League, Brasileirão etc.) and some of the world's largest sporting organisations. He is particularly recognised for his expertise as an advocate before the Court of Arbitration for Sport and his experience and knowledge of the football industry.
In addition to his role as counsel, he is an Arbitration Fellow (CIArb) and an accredited mediator and regularly sits as arbitrator or mediator in commercial and sports-related disputes. He also lectures on sports law and international arbitration in several universities and has leadership roles within a number of international arbitration and sports law organisations.
David Casserly is a contact person for the firm’s Sports Law Group.
- Sports Law
- Arbitration and Litigation
- Commercial and contract law, particularly in football
- Sports law
- 2013: Masters II Droit du Sport, Université Paris Sorbonne
- 2012: Admitted to the Bar of England & Wales
- 2007: Arbitration Fellow, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- 2005: Accredited Mediator, ADR Group
- 2005: Admitted to the Bar of Ireland
- 2005: Barrister-at-Law Degree, The Honorable Society of King’s Inns
- 2004: Diploma in Construction Law, Trinity College Dublin
- 2004: Admitted to the New York Bar (Attorney-at-law)
- 2003: Diploma in Legal French, ICC Paris and the Law Society of Ireland
- 2003: Diploma in Arbitration, University College Dublin
- 2002: Bachelor of Civil Law Degree, University College Dublin
- 2001: French and European Civil Law, Université de Caen
- since 2017: Partner, Kellerhals Carrard, Lausanne
- since 2008: Barrister, practising at the Irish Bar
- 2009-2011: Associate, Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler, Geneva
- 2009: Intern, ICDR/American Arbitration Association, New York
- 2005-2008: Legal Counsel & Head of Mediation at the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- 2003-2004: Attorney, Shearman & Sterling, Paris
Mr Casserly has held the following leadership roles:
- Vice-President of the UIA Sports Law Commission.
- Executive Committee of the International Football Lawyers Association (AIAF).
- Chairman of the AIAF Football Disputes Committee.
- Editorial Board of Football Legal.
- Editorial Board of Law in Sport.
- Executive Council of the Sports Law Bar Association.
- Steering Committee of the International Arbitration Bar.
- Executive Committee of the Irish delegation of the European Court of Arbitration.
- ADR & Arbitration Committee of the Bar Council of Ireland.
- Global Steering Committee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Young Members Group.
- International arbitration sub-committee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ Irish Branch.
He is also a member of a number of sports law (ANZSLA, ASDS, BASL, IASL, SLA, AIAF), arbitration (ASA, Arbitration Ireland, Young ICCA, ICDR Y&I, LCIA YIAG, CIArb) and professional (The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple, AIJA, IBA, ABA, European Circuit of the Bar, UIA) organisations.
- Mr Casserly has acted as a Disciplinary and Ethics Inspector for UEFA since 2011 and previously fulfilled the same role for the Football Association of Ireland (FAI).
- Mr Casserly is a former vice-chairman of the Irish Sport Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel, and is a member of several arbitration and mediation panels (including Sports Resolutions, JSI, DRA, ICC, FAI, CEDR).
- He lectures on sports law and arbitration law in universities in Ireland, Spain, USA, Italy, France and Switzerland.
- He is also an experienced sportsman, having played club rugby in Ireland and France, and international rugby with Switzerland.
Leading Sports Lawyer – Who’s Who Legal 2018
ADR Barrister of the Year, Ireland - Dispute Resolution Awards
Sports Lawyer of the Year, Republic of Ireland - AI Legal Awards
Mediation Lawyer of the Year, Ireland - Finance Monthly Global Awards
Sport and Entertainment Lawyer of the Year, Switzerland - Finance Monthly Global Awards
Arbitration, Dispute Resolution & Mediation Lawyer of the Year, Switzerland - Lawyer Monthly PC Awards
Sport and Entertainment Lawyer of the Year, Switzerland - Finance Monthly Law Awards
Law Society Gazette article
Football Law article
Kingdom of Football Article
Mr Casserly has presented at numerous sports law and arbitration events, including conferences and seminars organised by the following organisations: Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), ICC International Court of Arbitration, Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA), International Bar Association (IBA), Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Court of Arbitration for Sport, UEFA, Dubai Sports Council, Irish Bar Council, Irish Law Society, Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats (AIJA), Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA), Brazilian Academia Nacional de Direito Desportivo, Association Internationale des Avocats du Football (AIAF), International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), Japanese Sports Arbitration Agency (JSAA), Player Contracts Conference, International Association of Sports Law (IASL), Dublin Arbitration Forum, Arbitration Ireland, Abu Dhabi Sports Council and several others.