A Doctor of Law from University of Lausanne, François Carrard spent two years at a law firm in Stockholm before being admitted to the Bar 1967, when he joined the firm of Carrard & Associés.
He specialized in sports law and acted as Director General of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) from 1989 to 2003 and is currently regularly involved in international arbitration proceedings, among others before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and various chambers of commerce.
François Carrard is a member of the board of directors and chairman of several companies in Switzerland and abroad in particular of the Beau-Rivage Palace (Chairman), Compagnie Financière Tradition – CFT (Vice Chairman), Banque Landolt & Cie S.A (Vice Chairman), Olympic Broadcasting Services – OBS, IOC Television and Marketing Services – ITMS, Tupperware Suisse S.A and Fondation Montreux Jazz Festival (Chairman). He is also a member of the International Bar Association (IBA), the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA) and the Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA).
- Corporate law
- Banking, finance and capital markets law
- Sports and media law
- International arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Estate planning, wills and probate
- Sports law
- Baccalaureate degree, Lausanne
- Graduation, John Muir High School, Pasadena, California, USA
- Doctorate in Law, University of Lausanne
- Practice with an auditing firm (Lausanne, 1962), and with law firms (Stockholm, Sweden, 1963 and 1964, as well as in Lausanne 1965 and 1966)
- since 1967: Partner at the law firm Kellerhals Carrard
- 1963-1964: Attorney in a law firm in Stockholm
- 1962-1963: Attorney in an audit company in Lausanne
- Vaud Bar Association (OAV)
- Swiss Bar Federation (FSA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Registered in the Cantonal Attorneys’ Register (Vaud)
- Chairman of panels, party-appointed arbitrator and counsel in numerous international arbitration proceedings in commercial and sporting matters
- Member of the board of directors and Chairman of several companies in Switzerland and abroad, including in industry, banking, finance, printing and the hotel sector
- Director General of the International Olympic Committee (1989-2003)
- Former member of the Federal Foreign Indemnification Committee
- Beau-Rivage Palace SA, in Lausanne, runs the Beau-Rivage Palace and the Angleterre & Résidence Hotel, in Lausanne-Ouchy. François Carrard is Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Compagnie Financière Tradition SA (CFT), in Lausanne, François Carrard is Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Montreux Jazz Artists Foundation, in Montreux. François Carrard is Vice-Chairman of the Foundation Board.
- Montreux Jazz Foundation, in Montreux, is the owner and organiser of the Montreux Jazz Festival. François Carrard is Chairman of the Foundation Board.
- Garage Beau-Rivage SA, in Lausanne. François Carrard is member of the Board of Directors.
- IOC Television & Marketing Services SA, in Lausanne, is a company controlled by the International Olympic Committee with the purpose of developing and implementing the sales and marketing strategy of the International Olympic Committee, including negotiating sponsorship agreements and broadcasting rights. François Carrard is member of the Board of Directors.
- Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) SA, in Lausanne, is a company founded and controlled by the International Olympic Committee. OBS is the host radio broadcaster that produces and supplies the video and sound (including for TV) of the Olympic Games to all rights-holders for subsequent broadcasting. François Carrard is member of the Board of Directors.
- SFF Arts Graphiques SA, in Pully. François Carrard is Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Tupperware (Suisse) SA, in Eysins. François Carrard is member of the Board of Directors.
Arbitrage vs. Médiation (François Carrard), in: Rigozzi et al. (éd.), Proceedings before the Court of abitration for sport, Berne 2007, p. 13-17
L'accomplissement d'une mission de service public international : L'exemple des activités sportives (François Carrard), in: Le sujet en droit international, Paris 2005,
Sports and politics on the international scene (François Carrard), in: Rivista di Studi Politici Internazionali, Vol.78 n. 1, gennaio-marzo 2011, Direttore responsabile: Maria Grazia Melchionni, Roma 2011, p. 25-32